Heathers the Musical (Books and Music)

 Heathers the Musical to tour the UK in 2020 | WhatsOnStage
  I love this musical! Although this is not as old of a favorite as Les Mis (which I did last month) Heathers is great!
  So I try and relate these types of posts with a book reviewed for that month. So the book to go along with Heathers is The Best Laid Plans by Cameron Lund. Not only is the movie Heathers mentioned, but the main character is also a movie geek and she loves all the classics.
Soundtrack Link (YouTube)

Characters

   It will be a lot easier to tell the story if first I go through the characters.

Heathers the Musical - Seventeen (with scene) recorded by ...
Veronica Sawyer- first we have Veronica who is our main character.
Martha Dunstock- Martha is Veronica's best friend.  Martha is often made fun of and called "Martha Dumptruck". She has a huge crush on Ram.
Ram Sweeny- linebacker on the football team. Martha has a crush on him. His best friend is Kurt.
Kurt Kelly- quarterback. Ram's best friend. 
J.D.- a psychopath.
Heather McNamara- head cheerleader. 
Heather Duke- runs the yearbook committee. 
Heather Chandler- Queen Bee of the school.
The Heathers- Heather McNamara, Heather Duke, and Heather Chandler.

Story Line

  And here's the story:
  Heathers follows Veronica Sawyer as she enters her senior year of high school. After forging a hall pass for the Heathers, they ask her to forge a note. In Ram's handwriting, she invites Martha to a homecoming party. Veronica is reluctant at first but after some persuasion, agrees to do it. 
  Veronica then sees a fight between Ram, Kurt, and J.D. That's when she develops a crush on him. Then later, on her way to Ram's party with the Heathers, they stop at a gas station. Veronica goes inside and finds J.D. drinking slushies. She joins him for a while and they realize they might like each other. 
Heathers review – cult 80s film becomes a candy-coloured musical ...  Back at the party, Veronica finally feels like she belongs while Martha humiliates herself. After seeing how cruel the Heathers were to Martha, she leaves them. The Heathers swear Veronica will pay and now she's as good as dead. 
  Veronica then ambushes J.D. in her room and they "make out." The next day, Veronica visits Heather Chandler. Veronica and J.D. end up killing Heather. Veronica forged a suicide note signed by Heather. 
  One night after, Veronica receives a call from Heather MnNammera and Heather Duke. They ask her to come down to the cemetery where they were hanging out with Kurt and Ram. 
  After Veronica arrives, Ram and Kurt try to pull a "Dead Girl Walking" with her. After J.D. is told what happens, he decides the kill the two football players with Veronica. Another suicide note was forged. 
  After Heather, Kurt, and Ram die, Heather McNamara tried to commit suicide. It didn't help that Heather Duke wasn't a kind friend.
  It isn't long before J.D. decides the only way to be with Veronica is to kill the school. Instead, J.D. ends up dying instead.  
  Heathers is based on the 1980s film of the same name. 

Beautiful

  This song sends the overall message that life sucks. That is why I am choosing Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard to go along with this song. Mare's life pretty much sucked until she was boosted into Silver society. 
Heathers Heathers The Musical GIF - Heathers HeathersTheMusical ...

My review of Red Queen

Candy Store

  Undoubtedly this is the best song in the musical. "Candy Store" is the perfect song from the soundtrack to get you excited and that is why to go along with this song, I'm choosing a book that my friend and I were counting down the days to! The Betrothed by Kiera Cass is my pick for this song.
My review of The Betrothed 

Fight For Me

  For "Fight For Me" I'm choosing Sophia's War by Avi. At this point in the musical, Veronica (who is popular) has an unlikely crush on J.D. Sophia also develops an unlikely crush on John Andre. 

Freeze Your Brain

  In this song, J.D. sings about how the world was cruel to him. He has dad issues like Lina from Love & Gelato by Jenna Evan Welch. Both characters also have a deceased mother. 

Big Fun

  One book that brought me big fun was The Mall. This book was full of sarcasm and humor and I loved it!

Dead Girl Walking

  The Best Laid Plans by Cameron Lund is my pick for "Dead Girl Walking". Keely is nervous about losing her virginity while Veronica goes all-in with J.D.
My review of The Best Laid Plans

61 Best • All The World's A Stage • images | Musicals, Musical ...Me Inside of Me

  In this song, Heather C. "confesses" through her suicide note that no one understood her. While everyone thought that she was stuck up, there was much more underneath the surface. To go with this song, I'm picking Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll. Everyone thinks they know this story because of the movies made by Disney, but the book is actually quite different. 

Blue

  After hearing this song, I'm speechless. That's why I'm picking a book that left me speechless. I am paring Blue with Alex & Eliza by Melissa de la Cruz. I'm picking this book because I was so shocked at some of the stuff that happened. Only one out of the three proposals to Eliza came from Alex... 

Our Love is God

  One of my favorite couples in YA is Corwin and Kate from Onyx & Ivory by Mindee Arnett. Both Corwin and J.D. are willing to kill someone if it means they get to be with the person they love. 
My review of Onyx & Ivory

Seventeen

  In this song, Veronica sings about how she wants to be a normal teenager. Jessica, from Jessica Darlings IT List by Megan McCafferty strives to fit in amongst her peers. 

Shine a Light

Heather Chandler | Heathers the Musical Wikia | Fandom  This song is all about showing who you are- flaws and all. Two characters with so many flaws is Zoe and Hank from Miss You Love You Hate You Bye by Abby Sher. Hank and Zoe has so many insecurities and they just try and help each other through it in this book. 
My review of Miss You Love You Hate You Bye

Lifeboat

  In this song, Heather M. feels very pressured to be perfect. One character who felt pressured to be perfect is Alex from Worlds Collide. Alex is so pressured that she almost turns evil. Worlds Collide is part of The Land of Stories series by Chris Colfer. 

Shine a Light (Reprise)

  As Heather McNarma tries to commit suicide, Heather Duke mocks her. Duke's part in this song is so catchy. I could not get this song out of my head so I'm going to pick a book I could not put down. The Land of Stories by Chris Colfer was such a great book! I've actually been meaning to reread this series at some point. 

Kindergarten Boyfriend

  In this depressing song, Martha sings about her crush on Ram. A love story where the girl doesn't get the guy. Although I can't explain my pick(because of spoilers), I chose Sea Witch by Sarah Henning.
My review of Sea Witch

Yo Girl

Custom Heather Duke Cosplay Costume from Heathers: The Musical ...  "Yo girl, keep it together." One character who struggled to keep herself together was America from The Selection by Kiera Cass. 
My review of The Selection

Meant to be Yours

  Just like J.D. said, he and Veronica were meant to be. Another couple that was meant to be is America and Maxon. When they finally get married in The One, my heart cried of happiness. The One is by Kiera Cass. 
My review of The One

Dead Girl Walking (Reprise)

  In this song, Veronica tries to stop J.D. from doing something he'll regret. That is why for this song, I am picking Mistress of All Evil by Serena Valentino. In this book, Nanny tried so hard to stop Maleficent from going down that evil path. Needless to say, Nanny failed. 
My review of Mistress of All Evil

I Am Damaged

  In this song, Veronica and J.D. sing about how they are damaged. One character that I think is really damaged is Cara from The Year After You by Nina de Pass. After losing her best friend in a tragic car accident, Cara is broken. It isn't until she moves to Switzerland that she learns who to put her damaged self back together.  
My review for The Year After You

Seventeen (Reprise)

  Veronica sings about how she is finally going to get to be a normal teenager in this song. Anthoni is another character who longed to be normal. After bouncing around from town to town, Anthoni finally gets to be a normal kid for a summer. Anthoni hails from the book Maybe a Mermaid by Josephine Cameron. 
My review of Maybe a Mermaid

  There is a full recording of Heathers the Musical on YouTube and I think the title of the video is Red, Green, Yellow, and Blue the musical something about slime. I noticed as I was rereading everything that a lot of these books were recent reads but I do not yet have a review for the, so sorry about that. Goodbye for now!
     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My 5 Favorite Quotes From Clap When You Land

Fairest of All by Serena Valentino

Bloom by Kevin Panetta