Goldilocks: Wanted Dead or Alive by Chris Colfer

 Goldilocks is an outlaw who spends her days stealing and running through the Dwaf Forests, the only place where monsters and criminals can live freely. When the Charming brothers threaten to tear down everyone's home, it's up to Goldilocks to save the Dwaf Forests, but to do that, she'll need help from the most notorious outlaws across the kingdoms. Goldilocks recruits the help of Puss in Boots, the Gingerbreadman, and the ever so terrifying Little Miss Muffet.

Chris Colfer never ceases to amaze me. The Land of Stories is so rich and I love every story that comes from it. It took me a day to fly through this book. I enjoyed the plot a lot and loved the ending. 

I loved that this book explored more of the Charming brothers. They didn't have very big roles in the rest of his books, but they were so evil in this graphic novel!

Chris Colfer always creates such immersive worlds full of adventure. I loved getting to see Goldilock's backstory. She has always been one of my favorite characters from The Land of Stories.

I love the feminism in this book. Of course, Goldilocks is an empowered and independent woman, but Colfer's portrayal of the princess (Cinderella, Snow White, etc.) was great too. I especially love the part where they all stand up to their husbands and make the boys cowered in fear. 

My only criticism is the art. There are so many beautiful graphic novels with amazing artwork, but unfortunately, this isn't one of them. There were so many ugly facial expressions in this book. Some of the heads were lopsided too. I wish Brandon Dorman (the illustrator for all of Colfer's other books) did the artwork for this novel. The Land of Stories has such beautiful covers, especially compared to this one.

Page count: 336 pages

Published: June 29, 2021

Genre: fantasy

Series: The Land of Stories Graphic Novels

My rating: 4 stars

~ ~ ~

Also by Chris Colfer:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My 5 Favorite Quotes From Clap When You Land

Fairest of All by Serena Valentino

Bloom by Kevin Panetta