A Tale of Witchcraft by Chris Colfer

After she changed the world forever, Brystal thought that everything would be fine. Women were no longer suppressed. Magic was welcomed. What could be better? But then a new school opens. A school for witchcraft. And Brystal's friend Lucy walks right into the witches' trap when she discovers the intentions for the school. At the same time, a century-old brotherhood is rising. They are determined to rid the world of magic, starting with Brystal.

Okay. Wow. Still not over this book yet.

I don't think anyone writes plot twists like Chris Colfer. I'm STILL hung up over this one particular incident. If you loved Maven from Red Queen, let me tell you, your gonna love this book. 

The characters in this book are totally loveable. I already cared for many of the characters that were in A Tale of Magic, but I love some of these new characters. Especially Seven. I love that dude so much. In this book, we were also introduced to the Ravenchrest School of Witchcraft which bought along so many fun characters such as Stitches.

Brystal struggled with depression in this book. As a person who struggles with depression, I think it was demonstrated very well. The only this about it was her depression was solved/dismissed a little quickly. After Brystal finds out how to get rid of her depression, she seems to forget about it all together after it's gone. I'm not saying that her mental illness only lasted a few pages because in fact, it lasts for most of the book. What I am trying to say is depression can't be cured with a few happy sentences. I do realize that this is a middle-grade book and written for an audience younger than me, so I think Chris Colfer did a great job at breaking it down into something children could understand. 

Since Brystal was pretty sad and mopey the whole book, I think Lucy balanced her out well. Lucy is such a fun and hilarious character. I'm so glad that we got to explore a little bit more about her when she went to Ravencrest. 

I only have one criticism. There was one character that was just a little annoying. Bebe, one of the witches, had a stutter. I just found it really annoying to read that stutter because it would literally be every other word.

I attended Chris Colfer's virtual book tour for this book. It was so much fun and I even got to meet him which is just amazing! On the tour we played trivia, stump the author, and of course, there was a Q&A. Chris was so nice and it was a great experience. 

I know that this was a really long review so just to wrap things up, A Tale of Witchcraft was a fantastic book that I would recommend to everyone!

Page Count: 452 pages

Published: October 1, 2020

Genre: Fantasy

Series: A Tale of Witchcraft book 2

My Rating: 5 stars

Buy this book!!!

~ ~ ~

Other books by Chris Colfer:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My 5 Favorite Quotes From Clap When You Land

Fairest of All by Serena Valentino

Bloom by Kevin Panetta