Girl in the Blue Coat by Monica Hesse

Girl in the Blue Coat
Hanneke Bakker makes her living by delivering sought after goods from the black market. In her spare time, she mourns the loss of her dead boyfriend, Bas. In a time of war, it's not unusual for a client to ask her to find something. But what Mrs. Jenssen asks her to find is shocking. Hanneke finds goods, not people. Even still, Hanneke is hired to find Mirjam, a missing Jewish girl. Taking this job would risk everything, but not taking it would give her more pain than she already has.
        In 1943, Amsterdam was occupied by the Nazis. Hanneke's work is already illegal but when she takes the job of tracking down Mirjam, she is propelled deeper into a world of resistance, hidden cameras, and twisted secrets. The end result: something more startling and shocking than you could ever imagine.
        NEW FAVORITE BOOK! You have to believe me when I tell you that this book is gripping. When I started it, I was in the middle of a reading slump. After a day, I was awake all night eating up every last word. I can't even put into words how much I fell in love with this story.
        At every turn, I was kept on the edge of my seat- literally and figuratively. I was so excited to see what would happen next. I thought the suspense would literally kill me. The mystery in the book was put together so well, I don't think I'll ever find a book to top this.
        There were a lot of flashbacks in this book. They would always be about Bas or Elsbeth. Elsbeth was Hanneke's friend. Their falling out was heartbreaking. I think I might have cried every time Vas was mentioned.
        With the help of Bas's brother Ollie who also holds a secret, Hanneke solves a mystery that includes many powerful moments along the way.

Page Count: 320 pages
Published: April 4, 2017
Genre: historical fiction, mystery
My Rating: 5 stars

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My 5 Favorite Quotes From Clap When You Land

Fairest of All by Serena Valentino

Bloom by Kevin Panetta