Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco

 Even though she was born into a life of wealth and privilege, Audrey Rose Wadsworth wants nothing more than to study forensics. And maybe catch the infamous Jack the Ripper. With the help of her uncle's assistant, the dashing Thomas Cresswell, Audrey Rose must catch Jack the Ripper before he claims his next victim.

This series is so hyped up, especially concerning the romance in it. I was expecting the main focus of the book to be the romance, but to my surprise, it focused a lot on the science behind catching serial killers. The romance was probably my least favorite part of the book. Nothing happened that made me really ship Audrey Rose and Thomas. I know this is going to be an unpopular opinion, but I don't totally understand why everyone is in love with Thomas.

Though I didn't ship them, Thomas and Audrey Rose totally reminded me of Sherlock Holmes and John Watson. Everything about this book screamed Sherlock to me. The two characters definitely had great banter.

I really liked Audrey Rose. She was strong and independent. I loved that she wasn't afraid to get dirty with all these dead bodies. Though she was a little too "I'm not like the other girls" for me.

As for the book's mystery, it was so good! I love books featuring serial killer mysteries. Kerri Maniscalco definitely could be a writer for Criminal Minds the way she handled solving this mystery. I didn't see that ending coming! And when the big reveal was finally made of who Jack the Ripper really was, I loved how calm and collected Audrey Rose was about it. 

One thing that I didn't love about this book was that towards the end, Thomas and Audrey Rose seemed to be constantly fighting. Their witty banter turned into real arguments. I'm 100 pages into the sequel and so far, it seems like that isn't going to change.

The setting of this book also fell a little flat for me. Victorian London is one of my favorite settings but the atmosphere of this world wasn't as rich as I was hoping.

Page count: 337 pages

Published: September 20, 2016

Genre: historical fiction, mystery

Series: Stalking Jack the Ripper book 1

My rating: 4 stars

Trigger warnings: violence, death, assault, murder, dead bodies

~ ~ ~

Also by Kerri Maniscalco

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My 5 Favorite Quotes From Clap When You Land

Fairest of All by Serena Valentino

Bloom by Kevin Panetta