Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo

 After escaping from the Darkling, Mal and Alina are hunted across the True Sea. Alina finds that it becomes harder and harder for her to conceal her power and her identity as the Sun Summoner with each passing day. It isn't long before the Darkling reemerges from the fold with dangerous new power, forcing Alina to return to the country she abandoned. As her power grows, Alina can feel herself slipping away from Mal and towards the Darkling's grasps.

As the second book in the Grishaverse trilogy, I expected it to be just as good as Shadow and Bone. I thought Seige and Storm was a little mediocre though. Not a lot happened for the majority of the book. The last 10% is when stuff really got interesting.

I was expecting a super sad ending. A friend of mine told me it was the saddest character death ever, but I didn't really feel sad at all. I'm not really emotionally invested in any of these characters.

I think the Malina ship is super bad. They have no chemistry and all they did was fight. Mal acts like a baby. This boy needs to grow up. He got all upset over Alina's new powers and positions. He threw a fit every time Alina had something to do. Alina has to lead an army? Mal decides to ignore her for a week. Alina had dinner with a prince? Mal decides to take his anger out by fighting people. HE DIDN'T EVEN DO HIS JOB AS ALINA'S PERSONAL GUARD RIGHT. It's just so infuriating. He's so much more likable in the TV show. I think Mal and Alina are both super annoying, but it gets even worse when they're together.

I feel indifferent about Nikoli. I know everyone loves him and I can see why. He's kinda funny and not annoying. I didn't dislike him, but I didn't love him. 

Now that I absolutely trashed this book, here are a few things I liked about it. I liked the addition of pirates. I'm not sure why I like them, but I do. Genya and David. They're just the cutest together! Also I love the covers in this series! 

Siege and Storm got pretty boring so I switched over the audiobook three chapters in. Whoever narrates this book was amazing! I loved all the different voices she did. The voice she did for the apart/priest dude was amazing. He sounded like a vampire.

Page count: 435 pages

Published: June 4, 2013

Genre: fantasy

Series: Grishaverse book 2

My rating: 3 stars

Buy this book

~ ~ ~

Also by Leigh Bardugo:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My 5 Favorite Quotes From Clap When You Land

Fairest of All by Serena Valentino

Bloom by Kevin Panetta