Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo

 Ravka is divided by the Fold, a shadow casting the land beneath it in darkness. The Fold is also home to volcra, dangerous flying monsters. Alina Starkov has never felt like she belongs. When her regiment is attacked, Alina reveals a hidden power that she didn't even know existed. A power that could be settling a war that's been going on for centuries.

A few months ago, I watched Shadow and Bone on Netflix. I loved it so much! It raised my expectations for the book so much, and luckily, it lived up to my hopes.

Alina was a great character. I loved her! She and Genya had a sweet friendship that I liked. Geyna was sweet and 

There were so many spine-tingling lines in this book! Most of them came from the Darkling. My favorite quote is "fine, make me your villain." I love that so much.

While I really liked Shadow and Bone, I do have a few complaints about the book. A lot of times with fantasy novels, the setting or magic system are confusing. While I think the world was crafted really well, the magic system was confusing. I had to keep looking up the different types of Grisha.

I hated the romance in this book! Darklina and Malina are both terrible ships. I can't get on board with either. At the same time, I think everyone is way too mean to Mal. I wouldn't ship Malina, but he's not that bad. The reason why I can't ship these two is because their relationship seemed so sudden. Mal showed no interest in dating Alina until after she became the Sun Summoner. 

In all fairness though, if I read the book before watching the show, I probably would have shipped Darklina. Their romance reminds me of Mare and Maven. I know the Darkling is like seventeen in the book, but I can't help but picture him as Ben Barnes. He's just too old for Alina! Besides, I thought the Darkling was kind of a week villain.

I'm so excited to read the next book in this series! I also can't wait to get to Six of Crows.

Page count: 358 pages

Published: June 5, 2012

Genre: fantasy

Series: Grishaverse book 1

My rating: 4 stars

Buy this book

~ ~ ~

Also by Liegh Bardugo:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My 5 Favorite Quotes From Clap When You Land

Fairest of All by Serena Valentino

Bloom by Kevin Panetta