Reccent Reads

This year, I want to bring back my recent reads posts. I did a couple last year but then suddenly stopped. In 2021, I'd really like to keep it consistent. I'm going to try and post a recent reads every other Wednesday. Let's see how long I can keep this up!

Catwoman: Soulstealer by Sarah J. Maas 

Dates read: January 3 - January 5
   I didn't like the beginning of the book. It was really boring and hard to get into. By the end, I really liked this book. I had such high hopes for Catwoman: Soulstealer. I've heard so many amazing things about Maas's writing (most of it coming from the ACOTAR fandom that somehow keeps popping up on my Instagram feed). Catwoman is also my favorite DC character so naturally, I was excited to read this book. I just was really disappointed.
Synopsis:
    Selena Kyle finally makes her return to Gotham City after a two-year hiatus. Returning as Holly Vanderhees, she attends every gala and party there is. But as soon as all the guests disappear, Holly disappears and Catwoman emerges from the shadows. It isn't long before she's on the prowl, teaming up with Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn. Batman's away so it's up to Batwing to fill the role of Gotham's dark protector. But Luke isn't sure he has what it takes to bring down Gotham's newest villain.

King's Cage by Vicotria Aveyard

Dates read: January 5 - January 8
    I was so excited to finally get to read book 3 in the Red Queen series. I've loved every book in this series so far and King's Cage was no exception.
    One thing that I really liked was getting to read the different points of view. I got to read from Mare, Cameron, and Evangeline's perspective. While I didn't really like Cameron's chapters, Mare and Evangeline were great. Evangeline was able to redeem herself in this book and I love her!
Synopsis:
    Though Mare has been taken captive by King Maven, rebellion still burns in her heart. She can't do much confined in the walls of the palace but watch as Maven desperately tries to defeat the Scarlet Gaurd. Meanwhile, Cal trains with the Scarlet Gaurd as they prepare to take back Norta and help Mare escape Maven's cage.

Superman: Dawnbreaker by Matt de Pena

Dates read: January 8 - January 10
    Superman: Dawnbreaker was much better than I was expecting. Superman has never really been a character I loved- he's actually my least favorite DC superhero- but Matt de Pena's take on the story was great. I really enjoyed the majority of the book.
Synopsis:
    
    Clark Kent has always had to hide his powers from everyone. No one can know about his superhuman hearing or incredible strength. But then people start disappearing in Smallville. Clark needs the help of his best friend Lana Lang to help him discover where they went before it's too late.

Be More Chill: The Graphic Novel by Ned Vizzini

Dates read: January 1 - January 11
    If you've been following my blog for a while, you probably know by now that I LOVE Broadway. I'm almost always listening to musical soundtracks so I was ecstatic when I found out about Be More Chill: The Graphic Novel. "Micheal in the Bathroom" is one of my favorite songs so I was so excited to get this book.
    This graphic novel was great and filled with references from the songs. Natually, this was a favorite!    
Synopsis:
    Jeremy Heere couldn't be more than a loser. His hopeless crush on Christine seems to be getting nowhere. Then, Jeremy finds out about the Squip. The Squip is a super-computer pill that will help you be cool and chill. Thinking that it's the only way to make Christine like him, it buys it. But it isn't long until Jeremy discovers that there's a dark side to the Squip.

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stien

Dates read: January 3 - January 11
    The Art of Racing in the Rain is the only book included in this list that I listened to. I watched the movie when it came out and loved it. I think this is one of the rare occasions where I enjoyed the movie more than the book but I still gave this book 3 stars.
Synopsis:
    Enzo is a dog with a human's soul. He can't do much to help Denny as time after time he struggles. First, with his wife, then with his daughter. The only thing that has stayed constant is Denny's racing.

Punching the Air by Ibi Zoboi & Yusef Salaam

Dates read: January 11 - January 14
    I love books told in verse and Punching the Air was absolutely stunning. Amal's story was so moving and I can't tell you enough how much I love this book. There were so many moments that brought me close to tears. I also loved that some pages had drawings or little doodles and that really helped bring Punching the Air to the next level. This novel was just so powerful.
Synopsis:
     Amal Shahid didn't commit the crime but that doesn't change the fact that he's sent to prison anyway. Through his art and poetry, he's able to express himself. Amal uses his creativity, to tell the truth, his truth.

The Prince and the Troll by Rainbow Rowell

Date read: January 15
    The Prince and the Troll was such a great start to the Faraway series. It was absolutely adorable! Adam and the troll's relationship was so cute and it was so much fun to watch them bond over Starbucks. I can't wait to read the rest of the series!
Synopsis:
 When a man accidentally drops his phone off a bridge, it feels like fate. The bridge troll rescues it for him, an unlikely friendship blooms. But it could be more of a friendship. But with a prince and a troll could happily ever after actually be a reality for them?

Library of Souls by Ransom Riggs

Dates read: January 12 - January 16
    I can't wait for The Desolents of Devil's Arce to come out! In preparation for the big release, I've been rereading the entire series. I just finished Library of Souls which could feel a little long at times. For the most part, I really enjoyed this book and am super excited to read A Map of Days.
Synopsis:
Jacob Portman's ability is evolving. After the new surprise, he, Addison, and Emma get separated from the rest of their group. The three travel through London to Devil's Arce where the peculiars of England live in the slums. It isn't long before Jacob and Emma finally figure out where their missing friends are, and it's up to them to save all peculiars.

Hazel and Grey by Nic Stone

Dates read: January 17
    I just want to start off by saying that Hazel and Grey comes with a trigger warning. The second book in the Faraway series was great! Nic Stone has been an author I've wanted to read for a while and I'm happy that I finally got to read one of her books! I know I definitely want to read the Dear Martin series as well as Jackpot and Odd One Out.
Synopsis:
    Hazel's stepfather is nothing but controlling. Forbin from seeing her boyfriend, Hazel defies him and spends the night with Grey anyway. When the two get lost in the woods, a large mansion looks inviting enough to spend the night in.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My 5 Favorite Quotes From Clap When You Land

Fairest of All by Serena Valentino

Bloom by Kevin Panetta