I finished the Dorothy Must Die series...


Four books and three collections of novellas later, I finally finished Dorothy Must Die. Now I think the first book in this series was absolutely amazing! The second book was okay, but the last two were terrible and I'm going to tell you why.

Dorothy Must Die

    I want to start by talking about the first book in this series. Dorothy Must Die. It was an amazing start to the series. I loved it and I was obsessed with it. It sucked me right in. I think I read the book in like two days. That's how much I loved it.
    I thought that the concept was so, so cool. Dorothy being evil was something that intrigued me so much. I think this book would have been better as a standalone though. If Dorothy had died at the end of the book, it would have been so much better.
    I hate the synopsis from the back of the book. It's a total misnomer. Amy talks about how she has to take the lion's courage, take the scarecrow's brain, and the tin woodman's heart before she can kill Dorothy. I went into the book thinking that was how the plot would go down. Imagine my surprise when none of that stuff happened in the book. 

The Wicked Will Rise

    I liked this book. It was a solid three stars. Not too bad, but not great either. The Wicked Will Rise definitely could have been better. It was a really short book compared to the first, and the next two are just as short.

Yellow Brick War/The End of Oz

    Now I'm grouping these two together because I have pretty much the same things to say about them. I hated these books. They were terrible. I don't think this book even needs to have four books. A standalone would have been best. Even maybe- maybe- a duology would have been fine. But these last two books? No. Definitely not.
    Now in Yellow Brick War, we're introduced to the Nome King. I don't this character was needed. He shouldn't have even been in the book. He was terrible. Awful. I think that if Danielle Paige hadn't included him, I would have liked the series so much more. Suddenly, Dorothy isn't even the villain anymore. She's no longer an evil genius controlling Oz. She's just a useless plot point. 
    We're still trying to kill her but Amy and the group are so much more focused on the Nome King. I really wished this character wasn't included but whatever.

Dorothy Must Die Stories

The Dorothy Must Die Stories were great. I enjoyed them more than I enjoyed the second half of the series. I don't have too much to say on this one so I'm going to go ahead and wrap this post up.


Those are my thoughts on the Dorothy Must Die series. I would recommend this book and it's definitely worth checking out. Although I didn't like the last two books, I would definitely go back and reread the first two. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My 5 Favorite Quotes From Clap When You Land

Fairest of All by Serena Valentino

Bloom by Kevin Panetta