The Lucky List by Rachael Lippincott

Emily's luck seemed to run out three years ago when her mother died. Ever since she and her boyfriend broke up at junior prom, she barricaded herself in her room, preparing for the worst summer ever. But then Emily meets Blake, the daughter of her father's childhood best friend. While cleaning out her mother's closet, Emily finds her mother's senior year bucket list. When Blake suggests that they complete the list together, it kicks off a summer of self-discovery. As they check more things off the list, Emily starts to feel closer to her mother, and Blake too.

This was such a heartwarming book! There were definitely a few moments that made my heart swell with sadness.

Rachael Lippincott is also the author of Five Feet Apart which I read last January. Her third novel is so much better!

I think The Lucky List is exactly the type of gay coming-of-age teens need. In many novels, teens already know they're gay but before this book, I never got to read a novel with a character struggling to come to terms with that.

The Lucky List had a slow burn romance and when I tell you it was slow, I mean turtle pace slow. Nevertheless, I liked it. It was so sweet and cute. I absolutely adore Blake- plus I would totally date her!

This book filled me with so much joy. The cliff jumping chapter was definitely my favorite. Emily seemed so happy in that chapter.

I felt so connected to Emily too. I can't explain why, but her story just seemed to hit me so hard.

I found the predictability of this novel comforting. I always knew what was going to happen and after reading so many fantasies, it was a bit refreshing.

Page count: 304 pages

Published: June 1, 2021

Genre: contemporary

My rating: 4 stars

Buy this book

Trigger warnings: death of a parent

~ ~ ~

Also by Rachael Lippincott:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My 5 Favorite Quotes From Clap When You Land

Fairest of All by Serena Valentino

Bloom by Kevin Panetta