Tidesong by Wendy Xu

 Sophie is a young witch whose grandmother and mother have sent her off to study magic with her aunt before her audition for the Royal Magic Academy. The only problem is Sophie's magic is unreliable and weak. Despite to prove herself, Sophie attempts a complicated spell on her own, but it goes terribly wrong. Sophie accidentally engages her magic with a young sea dragon named Lir. Lir is now trapped on land and can't remember anything that happened before Sophie's failed spell. With his help, Sophie could pass her entrance exams, but it would mean endangering Lir in the process. 

The illustrations in this graphic novel are beautiful, I found the actual story lacking a bit. I originally picked this up because I loved the Mooncakes graphic novel so much, but Tidesong just wasn't as interesting. I thought the plot was boring. Overall, this book just felt like it was missing something.

Like I said, the artwork was great. Definitely my favorite part of the book. The color palette used in this book was so cute!

The message this book delivers is very clear. It's all about friendship. It was super heartfelt. I think this book would be great for kids. 

Page count: 240 pages

Published: November 7, 2021

Gerne: fantasy

My rating: 3 stars

Buy this book

~ ~ ~

Also by Wendy Xu:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My 5 Favorite Quotes From Clap When You Land

Fairest of All by Serena Valentino

Bloom by Kevin Panetta