Punching the Air by Ibi Zoboi & Yusef Salaam


 Amal Shahid didn't commit the crime but that doesn't change the fact that he's sent to prison anyway. Through his art and poetry, he's able to express himself. Amal uses his creativity, to tell the truth, his truth.
    Punching the Air was beautiful! There were so many parts that brought me close to tears. The words contained in this novel are powerful and Amal's whole journey was moving.
    Punching the Air was told in verse and that's a format that I really like. I think all of Amal's poems really helped to relay the theme of racism in the book.
    I also love that there were small images or drawings that went along with the story. I love it when books add that extra step to make them really special which this book really did well. My favorite image was the one of the microphones.
    This is definitely a book that I'd like to reread someday in the future.

Page Count: 400 pages
Published: September 1, 2020
Genre: Contemporary
My Rating: 5 stars
Buy this book!

~ ~ ~

Other books by Ibi Zoboi:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My 5 Favorite Quotes From Clap When You Land

Fairest of All by Serena Valentino

Bloom by Kevin Panetta