A Wish in the Dark VS Les Mis- How They Compare

   Image result for a wish in the dark

  A Wish in the Dark by Christina Soontornvat is a remaining of Victor Hugo's Les Miserables. Set in a beautiful Thai setting, this book took me on an amazing journey. So I decided, as I read, I would annotate it to see how it compared it to Les Mis. Now, I haven't read Les Mis but I've seen the musical a dozen times(maybe even more) and we studied Les Mis in French class too so I think I'm pretty prepared. There's also a huge chunk of the book missing annotations because I got lost in the story. So I guess this is kind of like a book talk for A Wish in the Dark because it has some tiny spoilers but nothing too major that will give away a plot twist. Heres the link to my review through: 
Image result for les miserables book  So I'm just focusing on the similarities. 

  1. Pong wants to work for the Goviner VS under the alias Monsier Madeleine, Jean Valjean was the mayor of Maontreuil-sur-Mer. 
  2. Nok had two younger sisters VS Cosette grew up an inn with two stepsisters. 
  3. The main character's only parent is in jail VS BOTH of Cosette's parents have been in jail (Fantine and Jean Valjean). 
  4. In both stories, the prisoner guards are cruel and rough.
  5. Pong breaks out of prison VS Valjean breaks parolee.
  6. Pong is caught with a stolen loaf of bread that he claims was a gift from the monk. The monk backs up his claim even though it is false VS Valjean steals silver from the bishop and was caught. He says it was a gift from the bishop and the bishop confirms this even though it is false. 
  7. The Monk stands up for Pong just like the Bishop defends Valjean. 
  8. Pong jumps in the river at one point to avoid capture VS Valjean "slips" off of a dock to avoid capture in the book. 
  9. Pong and Javert were both born in jail. 
  10. Nok's dream is to be a police officer VS Javert is a police officer. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My 5 Favorite Quotes From Clap When You Land

Fairest of All by Serena Valentino

Bloom by Kevin Panetta