A Wish in the Dark by Christina Soontorvat (ARC Review)

A Wish in the Dark
  The governor brings light to all of Chattana. Without him, the city would go dark. Pong was born inside Narmon Prison. Nok is the daughter of the law commissioner. While Pong longs to make the world a better place, Nok wants to be the perfect daughter and grow up to become a police officer. The two liver very different lives but somehow their paths cross. It all started when Pong made his great escape from Narmon. When Nok and Pong meet again, Nok is determined to bring him back to prison, but Pong had other plans.
  This book is based on Les Miserables by Victor Hugo which I a book that I would love to read. We study the book in French class although we didn't actually read it. We read a packet that broke each volume down into a page or two. I LOVE the musical through! The soundtrack is always on repeat on my phone! While I'm getting a little off-track here, I think that this is the perfect twist of that story, but there will be a separate post about that.
  Besides the connection to Les Miserables which is very dear to my heart, the book was great. Set in a Thai setting, this book was the perfect mix of risky choices and thrilling adventures. Although not a true fantasy book, I would still consider it fantasy. There is a little bit of magic coming from the governor.
  Although I did love this book, I must put in some criticism. Pong seemed like a very static character. I'm not sure if it's just me but Nok seemed much more dynamic. Don't get me wrong, I loved Pongs story, I just saw no character change in him like most main characters go through.
  There are more A Wish in the Dark themed posts coming this week! I also did a post on how A Wish in the Dark compares to Les Miserables so to see that click on the link here.

Page Count: 384 pages (Hardcover)
Published: March 24, 2020
My Rating: 5 stars
Genre: Fantasy 
Buy this book on Amazon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My 5 Favorite Quotes From Clap When You Land

Fairest of All by Serena Valentino

Bloom by Kevin Panetta