The Kingdom by Jess Rothenberg

 In the Kingdom, happily ever after isn't just a promise. It's a rule. Ana is one of the Fantasists, engineered princesses designed to make dreams come true. When Ana meets Owen, she starts to experience emotions beyond her programming. Love. But her fairytale takes a turn as Ana is accused of murdering Owen.

Why hasn't there been more hype surrounding this book? It was so freaking good! I couldn't put down this. At first, I didn't plan on finishing it as quickly as I did. Once I started reading, I couldn't stop. The Kingdom is a very fast-paced book. It was so original too. I've never read anything like it!

The Kingdom was basically Disney but cooler... and evil. Just the entire aspect of this theme park is amazing!

There were so many cool aspects of this book! I loved that part of the book we're told through court transcript. Though the story basically followed two different timelines, it was very easy to keep track of everything happening. I also love the atmosphere of this novel. It's very whimsical but so dark and gritty at the same time!

This book was a little of a murder mystery too! There was definitely a good chunk of the book where I thought it was possible Ana actually killed Owen. There were so many questions posed and this book managed to answer all of them! I was so satisfied with the ending. It didn't feel rushed at all.

Even though this is a great book, I'm not super attached to the characters. Ana reminded me a bit of Snow White. The "not like the other girls" trope was definitely used here. It felt like Ana was trying to be a feminist, but... she kinda wasn't. Ana kept saying she was "evolving" though she never explained how. 

I didn't like the romance in this book. It felt unreal and a little rushed. Ana and Owen didn't seem to be a good couple. They didn't seem to have any connection. Owen's character in general was just very basic.

In the end, The Kingdom is a very thrilling book that I would recommend to all sci-fi lovers!

Page Count: 352 pages

Published: May 28, 2019

Genre: fantasy, dystopain

My rating: 3 stars

Trigger warnings: self-harm, mention of abuse

Buy this book

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My 5 Favorite Quotes From Clap When You Land

Fairest of All by Serena Valentino

Bloom by Kevin Panetta