Spells Trouble by P.C. Cast & Kristin Cast

 Hunter and Mercy Goode are twin witches. They are the direct desendents from the founders of Goodeville. As their ansentors before them, it's time for Hunter and Mercy to become Gatekeepers- protectors of the gates to different underworlds. When their mother becomes the first in a series of murders, it's up to Hunter and Mercy to avenge her death. They'll need more than magic if they hope to defeat the mythical creature terrozing Goodeville though... 

THAT ENDING! I NEED THE NEXT BOOK NOW!

Spells Trouble was a great book though there were some parts that where a little boring. It was really slow, but I'm still going to read the sequal when it comes out next spring because I need to know what happens to Hunter.

I love the cover. And the name. Both are great and defitnly the best part of the book.

I love the names of these two girls. Hunter and Mercy. I just love it. That is the best name for twins. My favorite of this sisters was Hunter. She was somewhat independent. Meanwhile I blame Mercy for every bad thing that happened in this book. I couldn't care less about that girl.

The different voices however weren't really distinct. At some points, I didn't even know who's POV I was reading. It all just blended together after a while as if it was written by one author. Speaking of the writing, it's obivous this book was written by middle age women because as a teenager, I can say we defintly DON'T talk like that. I don't even know what a "hugsies" is but it's defintly going on the list of words I will never say. Every teenager in this book talked like a valley girl from the 90s. What is this? Saved by the Bell?

I wish Hunter had gotten some kind of romance. Mercy's romance with her boyfrind was overwhelmig and annoying. Hunter deserves a girlfrind though. She had to put up with so much and still she gets the short end of the stick.

I was also expecting this book to have a bunch of traditional witchcaft in it. Ya know like covens and cauldrens and all that stuff. Instead, the magic ended up being kind of boring. The authors could have created different realms with how they set up this magic tree stuff, but in the end it seemed very lazy.

I'm not sure if I'm the only one who noticed this but in the name of the town, theirs the word evil. I was really hoping this would come into play somehow, but I was disapointed when it didn't. Since the name Goodeville never ended up playing into the whole evil thing, I think the name is a bit unimagitive. 

Page count: 320 pages

Published: May 25, 2021

Genre: urban fantasy

Series: Sisters of Salem book 1

My rating: 3 stars

Comments

Unknown said…
Dear Abby,

I am writing to ask if my new children's book, Magoo and His Magic Poo, would be something you would be interested in reading. It is the story of a cat who uses his special "gift" to help animals of another species in a show of kindness. One early review described it as “A story that made me laugh out loud. It balances comedic absurdity with harsh reality.” I have included author and illustrator bios below.

If so, I would be happy to send you a PDF review copy. While the release date is set for October 29th (National Cat Day) I am not seeking a review by that date. I am always grateful for any and all reviews, whenever they are posted.

Thank you so much for your consideration!

Have a great day,
Howie Ronay

On Instagram @MagooAndHisMagic


BIOS
Howie Ronay is a Cannes Lions-winning Creative Director with over twenty years of experience at global ad agencies. He has been fortunate to have won multiple Effies, Webby awards and created Kraft Food’s first Top Ten Super Bowl spot for Planters as ranked by USA Today’s Ad Meter. His viral video for Kmart, “Ship my Pants,” was featured on The Today Show, Good Morning America and CNN and was selected by YouTube as one of the “Top 20 Ads of the Past Decade.” Howie recently found out his parents nickname for him as a baby was “Doo Doo,” so this is all in fact, coming full circle.

Michael Harring is a CLIO and ADDY award winning illustrator. Over the past fifteen years, Michael's unique creative touch has helped to shape the campaigns of iconic clients that include Louis Vuitton, Tiffany & Co., and Target. His varied skill set spans illustration, art direction, graphic design, directing, writing, producing, large scale Halloween sculpture and accidental goldfish rescue. Michael was also once yelled at by Gary Busey.

Popular posts from this blog

My 5 Favorite Quotes From Clap When You Land

Fairest of All by Serena Valentino

Bloom by Kevin Panetta