Race to the End of the World by A.L. Tait

 Quinn was shocked when he found out that the king wanted a map of the world. Everyone knew that eventually, one would fall off the world and into the jaws of a fire-breathing dragon. Quinn was even more shocked to find out that the king wanted Quinn to be the mapmaker. With his hidden gift, he'd be the perfect scribe. Reluctantly, he agrees and sets out on a journey he never intended to go on.

    I regret buying this book. It was so boring and there multiple instances where I considered DNFing it. Honestly, I don't know why I kept reading it. I know that there is no way I'm going to finish this series.
    The book had a lot of potential, but it just didn't come through. There were so many exciting things that could have happened yet the story kept a slow pace with little exciting action. When something did happen, the solution to the problem was predictable.
    Quinn was a poorly written main character. He was dull and static. Nothing about him changed from start to finish. In fact, most of the characters were interesting to me.
    If I had to pick one character I liked the best, it would be Ash. She wasn't the fierce and feisty female a lot of books had, but she was the closest thing to stubborn The Mapmaker Chronicles was going to give me. She didn't totally hold her ground the whole time, but she did have ideas of her own. I enjoyed the few parts the author choose to focus on her.
    As for Quinn's "special gift," was it really a gift? Quinn could remember everything. That's not even exciting! When I saw something about a hidden gift in the synopsis, I thought of magic. Maybe even ship shifting. Nope. This boy just remembers stuff. Now I'm not saying my memory is perfect, but I can remember a lot of little details which just adds to how disappointing I found Quinn's gift.
    And he was so weird about it too! There was one instance that stuck with me. Quinn is telling Ash and Ajax (another friend of his) about a story. When Ash asks Quinn how he knew that, Quinn said his father told him BECAUSE he didn't want to admit he REMEMBER reading it.
    I pull out random facts from books, newspapers, and even articles I've read even when it's not exactly relevant.

Page Count: 239 pages
Published: October 14, 2014
Genre: fantasy
Series: The Mapmaker Chronicles book 1
My rating: 2 stars
Buy this book

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My 5 Favorite Quotes From Clap When You Land

Fairest of All by Serena Valentino

Bloom by Kevin Panetta