We Can Be Heros by Kyrie McCauley

 Beck and Vivian could never stand each other, but they tried for their mutual best friend. When it seems like everyone in Bell has forgotten about Cassie's murder, Beck and Vivian finally find something in common: vengeance. When Cassie comes back as a ghost, Beck and Vivian agree to help her pass onto the afterlife. They secretly paint memorials for Cassie around town, protesting against gun violence in Bell.

This is one of the most powerful books I've ever read. We Can Be Heros is a heartbreaking novel about standing up to gun violence and domestic abuse. This novel was absolutely stunning. The writing was beautiful. 

We Can Be Heros tackled grief in such a different and thoughtful way. I love the strong theme of feminism. The ending of this book took my breath away. This novel will definitely stay with me for a long time.

This book is told from three points of view as well as a podcast. My favorite POV was Cassie's. I love how her chapters were told in verse, though they were so sad! Each character had her own distinct voice. 

I love all these characters! Beck is so wild and fun. Vivian reminds me maybe a little too much of myself. The friendship that the three girls shared was beautiful. 

We Can Be Heros is an impactful book that is so touching in every way. I would recommend this book to everyone! 

Page count: 368 pages

Published: September 7, 2021

Genre: contemporary

My rating: 5 stars

Trigger warnings: gun violence, domestic abuse, fatal car accident, PTSD, lung cancer, mentioned rape

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My 5 Favorite Quotes From Clap When You Land

Fairest of All by Serena Valentino

Bloom by Kevin Panetta