White Smoke by Tiffany D. Jackson

 Marigold is running from the ghosts of her past. Moving to Cedarville is the fresh start she needs. Her mom got a job with the Sterling Foundation that came with a new house. The renovated home on Maple Street is surrounded by run-down and burned houses. The only problem is strange things start happing in Mari's new home is that glasses are disappearing, doors are opening on their own, and theirs a foul order in the house only Mari seems to notice. To make everything worse, Mari's stepsister, Piper, says she's been talking to an old woman named Ms. Suga. And it seems Mrs. Suga wants Mari gone.

White Smoke is officially the best horror book I've ever read. Sure, I haven't read many, but this is still an amazing book. White Smoke is definitely the scariest YA book I've ever read.  I can't even begin to tell you how many times I caught myself holding my breath. This book gave me the chills. Y'all might want to sleep with the lights on after reading this one!

I fell in love with Marigold! She was such an amazing main character. I loved getting to slowly unearth the secrets from her past. I also really liked Sammy, Mari's younger brother. He was just so loveable! As for Mari's remaining sibling, Piper, she reminded me so much of my youngest brother. She was just so annoying.

The plot twists in this book were thrilling. I didn't see any of those coming! I couldn't put this book down due to all the chapters ending on either cliffhangers or huge realizations.

Another thing I loved about this book was the way Tiffany D. Jackson worked relevant social issues into the story. The book talked about issues such as racism and marijuana. I also liked the author chose to focus on Mari's new friendships a lot too.

My only criticism about White Smoke is that Erika's storyline was never wrapped up completely. I would have liked to see what happened to her. I want to know so badly if she's okay.

Page count: 384 pages

Published: September 14, 2021

Genre: horror, mystery

My rating: 5 stars

Twigger warnings: addiction, drugs, overdose, anxiety, panic attacks, blood, murder, arson, fear of bedbugs

Buy this book!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My 5 Favorite Quotes From Clap When You Land

Fairest of All by Serena Valentino

Bloom by Kevin Panetta