The River Has Teeth by Erica Waters

 Natasha's sister is missing. Her car was found abandoned on the edge of a nature reserve. When the case runs cold, Natasha's anger starts to rise. She's desperate to find answers and will do anything possible to get them, including turning the Lloyds for help. Della Lloyd's family has been gathering magic from the Bend. When Natasha appears on her doorstep, Della knows it will take more than a simple potion to help her. Della has her own secrets to hide though. She thinks the monster responsible for all the missing women in town is her mother.

I've been reading a lot of trope-y books lately and The River Has Teeth was a refreshing change of pace. I enjoyed this book a lot. The writing was atmospheric. I loved the gothic setting. The horror and fantasy elements twisted together in this book are beautiful!

I also love the mystery included in this novel. I always enjoy a good whodunnit. It was so suspenseful. There seemed to be a new twist around every corner. I didn't see that ending coming!

I really liked Della. She was so interesting with all her magic stuff.

Natasha on the other hand wasn't my favorite character. She was too aggressive. She was so fixated on her sister's boyfriend that she missed so many obvious things she could have been doing to help find her sister. Natasha was really annoying. She was also pretty boring. I think if Natasha was absent or had some personality changes this book would have been so much better.

Despite how much I disliked Natasha, I thought she and Della had a really cute relationship. Their polar opposites but there were moments that made me go awwww.

Page count: 400 pages

Published: July 27, 2021

Genre: fantasy, mystery

My rating: 3 stars

Buy this book

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My 5 Favorite Quotes From Clap When You Land

Fairest of All by Serena Valentino

Bloom by Kevin Panetta