Sophia's War by Avi

1776, New York City. (How many Hamilton fans sang that?) Sophia Calderwood witness the hanging of Nathan Hale, the American spy. Sophia is horrified by the event. New York is occupied by the British and it's dangerous to be a patriot. Sophia is recruited as a spy and becomes a maid in General Clinton's house. That's how Sophia uncovers a plot that could decide the fate of the revolution. 

The story was good but I can't say the same for the writing. The story was just so slow. It was hard to get into the book. I really wanted to like it but I just didn't. 

I did enjoy some parts. Adding to the little I liked this book, there were some Hamilton references in the beginning. 

I read this book with two other friends of mine. Just like Matched, one loved the book, one thought it was okay, and I hated it. I feel like this book would have been better with a love interest or some type of romance and I know I'm not the only one. I probably would have never picked up this book if I wasn't required to read it for my history class. 

Page Count: 320 pages

Published: September 25, 2012

Genre: Historical Fiction

My Rating: 1 star

Buy this book 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My 5 Favorite Quotes From Clap When You Land

Fairest of All by Serena Valentino

Bloom by Kevin Panetta