Infinity Son by Adam Silvera

 Emil and Brighton have always idolized the Spell Walkers. The Spell Walkers are a group of vigilantes bent on riding the world of specters. While the Spell Walkers and celestials are born with magical powers, the specters take them. Brighton wants so badly to join their ranks so when Emil finds that he has powers of his own, Brighton can't help but feel a little jealous. The brothers are recruited by the Spell Walkers to help take down Luna.

So going into this book, I was told it was going to be like "gay superheroes." I was so excited to read this book, but boy was I disappointed. It sucked. I considered DNFing this book multiple times. As a huge Marvel and DC Comics fan, I was so disappointed with the superhero aspect of Infinity Son. They were okay, but not cool.

I didn't like the pacing of this book. It was weird and even though the story was moving, it felt so slow.

There was almost no world-building in this book. It was basically non-existent. First, this was a huge event that happened prior to the events in the book called the Blackout, but almost no information was given about it. I'm still not sure what the Blackout really is. The different powers celestials and specters have aren't really explained. The characters didn't have much development either.

Out of the four POVs in this book, Brighton's POV was my favorite. I found Emil really boring while Brighton was a little bit more interesting with his YouTube channel. Another POV I liked was Ness. I thought it was interesting to see how he turned from the "dark side" to Emil and Brighton's side.

The plot twists in this book were dull and not very interesting. In fact, they were so dull, Adam Silvera decided to use the same one twice.

I do want to see more books with phoenixes. They're one of my favorite mythical creatures and really unique as I feel like they're often overlooked in books. Most evolve around mermaids, dragons, or unicorns.

I'm definitely not going to read the sequel, Infinity Reaper, but I still want to give Adam Silvera another chance because, despite all the complaining I did above, there were some parts I liked. I still have really high hopes for They Both Die in the End.

Page count: 353 pages

Published: January 14, 2020

Genre: urban fantasy

Series: Infinity Cycle book 1

My rating: 2 stars

Buy this book

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My 5 Favorite Quotes From Clap When You Land

Fairest of All by Serena Valentino

Bloom by Kevin Panetta