I'll Be the One by Lyla Lee

 I loved I'll Be the One much more than I was expecting to. From the moment I picked it up, I couldn't put it down. This was such an amazing book that I would recommend it to EVERYONE! Skye's been told her whole life that fat girls can't dance. Despite the years of negative comments from her mother, Skye learns to love her body. She dreams of becoming a K-Pop icon and when she finds out about the TV competition You're My Shining Star she knows that this is finally her chance. However, Skye didn't expect her fellow competitor, Henry Cho, to be so cute and charming.

The message it sends is one everyone needs to hear. It's about loving yourself regardless of what you look like. I think that's really important. Especially in today's society where people are so openly shamed for not being a certain body size.

Another thing that I loved about I'll Be the One was all the LGBTQ representation. There were lesbians and bisexuals- it was great! It seemed like everyone was gay and that just added to how much I loved this book. I want to read books with more bi main characters. I'm bi so it's always so great to see characters like me represented in books.

I also loved the K-Pop competition. I think that was so unique compared to other contemporaries. I loved that while I was reading I would come across these huge names in K-Pop and just think to myself hey I actually know who that is! I defiantly want to read more books centered around music.

I loved Skye's relationship with Henry. The build-up was great and the banter they had was even better. They were so cute together and there were so many moments where all I could this was awwwwww.

I'll Be the One is definitely a book I would reread in the future and I can't wait for Lyla Lee's next YA book!

Page count: 328 pages

Published: June 16, 2020

Genre: contemporary

My rating: 5 stars

Buy this book

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My 5 Favorite Quotes From Clap When You Land

Fairest of All by Serena Valentino

Bloom by Kevin Panetta