Tokyo Ever After by Emiko Jean

 Izumi never felt like she fit in. She has lived in California all her life. She never knew her father but, she finds out something about him that shocks her. Her father is non-other than the crown prince of Japan, meaning Izumi is a princess. When she gets an invitation to travel to Toyko to meet her father, she goes immediately, leaving California behind. When she gets to Japan, Izumi finds that there are more struggles to being a princess than she thought.

I loved this book! Tokyo Ever After was so much fun to read and this book just flew by! If you love The Princess Diaries, then you will love this book!

I feel like with most contemporaries, you can kind of tell they were written by like 40-year-old women, but not this one! Out of all of the contemporaries, I've read, Izumi acted most like a regular teenage girl. The humor in this book was spot on!

One character that I really liked was Aiko, Izumi's bodyguard. His relationship with Izumi grew beautifully and I could see myself going back to reread their dance scene again and again. At first, I wasn't expecting them to work too well together, but by the end of Tokyo Ever After I was in love with the two.

I wasn't a huge fan of Izumi's relationship with her day. It started out really weak and was only expanded upon in the last 30 pages. Even in those last 30 pages, his and Izumi's relationship felt rushed. For such a huge plot point, he kind of fell to the side most of the time.

Also, this cover is everything! I love it. Tokyo Ever After truly is The Princess Diaries for a new generation.

Page count: 336 pages

Published: May 18, 2021

Genre: contemporary

My rating: 4 stars

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My 5 Favorite Quotes From Clap When You Land

Fairest of All by Serena Valentino

Bloom by Kevin Panetta