Sing Me Forgotten by Jessica S. Olsen

 Idsa has lived in the opera house her whole life. In exchange for shelter, she's supposed to stay in the shadows and not talk to anyone. One day, Idsa breaks that rule to talk to Emeric. His voice is unlike anything Idsa has ever heard and soon, she starts mentoring him. As Idsa spends more time with Emeric, her feelings for him start to grow. Soon, Idsa decides that it's time she takes control of her own destiny and breaks out of her gilded cage.

Every musical-related book I've read so far has gotten five (sometimes four) stars. Unfortunately, this Phantom of the Opera retelling wasn't the same. I still liked it. The first half of the book was really great, but the second half completely lost my attention.

I haven't seen the original Phantom of the Oprea so I can't really comment on how close to the original story this book is, but I did love the fact that this whole thing was gender-bent! It was an interesting take and one that I haven't seen often. 

Sing Me Forgotten had a fantastic atmosphere. It was dark and gothic. I loved the vibes the setting gave me. The cover is beautiful!

The ending of this book was a little disappointing. It felt underwhelming. I was expecting much more than what I got. I also wasn't a fan of Idsa's relationship with Emeric, which was kind of the main plotline. They felt forced.

Everything in this book was also pretty predictable. I wasn't surprised by anything that happened.

Page count: 336 pages

Published: March 9, 2021

Genre: fantasy

My rating: 3 stars

Buy this book

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My 5 Favorite Quotes From Clap When You Land

Fairest of All by Serena Valentino

Bloom by Kevin Panetta