Don't Tell the Nazis by Marsha Forchuk Skaypuch

Krystia lives in a small village in Ukraine. Just when the Russian Soviets get kicked out, they think all their problems are solved. Only days later do the German Nazis arrive. At first, things seem calm but then panic rises. The Nazis start to threaten Krystia's friends, family, and everything she knows. German people have been moving into the village and soon it becomes unrecognizable. It gets worse and Krystia's family soon takes in a family of Jews.
    I wasn't expecting to like Don't Tell the Nazis as much as I did. I found that I cared a lot about Krystia and her story. I fell right into this book. I like to read about other places than Germany because it's so interesting to see how they dealt with all this Nazi stuff. Most WWII stories take place in Germany and while those books are still good, I like seeing other countries too. 
    Small spoiler: almost everyone in this book dies. It was so frustrating! I wanted Krystia to get a happy ending with her whole family so badly but everyone dies! I think that this book would be really great when teaching kids about the Holocaust. The book was just disturbing or jarring enough to get the point of how horrible this time was across. 
    I didn't love the ending and I would have liked a little more closure. It would have been a bit better if there was at least an epilogue. I just don't know what happened to any of the characters.

Page Count: 240 pages
Published: 
January 1, 2019
Genre: Historical Fiction
My Rating: 3 stars
Buy this book

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My 5 Favorite Quotes From Clap When You Land

Fairest of All by Serena Valentino

Bloom by Kevin Panetta