Divergent by Veronica Roth

 In Tris's dystopian world, everyone is split up into five factions: Candor, Abnegation, Dauntless, Amity, and Erudite. Once a year, all sixteen-year-olds choose what faction they will live the rest of their life in. Tris switches from Abnegation to Dauntless. During intuition, she discovers some shocking news about Erudite's plans for the factions. News that could lead to distrution.

Also theirs a weird and creepy romance in this book between Tris and Four. *shudders*

Divergent was certainly... interesting. For the past two years, my friends couldn't stop raving about this book. After much relcutence, I finally gave in and read this book. I have mixed feelings to say the least. I'll start off with the negative, but I have plenty of positive things to say about Divergent too!

For one thing, the fractions were really hard to keep track of. I couldn't remember any of the names so eventually I just started calling them farmers (Candor), nice people (Abnegation), tough people (Dauntless), also nice people (Amity), and finally the nerds (Erudite).

The worst part of Divergent was no doubt the romance. I couldn't stand it! Tris and Four's relationship was so cringy. I skipped most of their moments because I hated it so much. Part of my hatred of this couple it proabbly attributed to the fact I thought Four was an old man (like 30s-40s) for the first half of the book until Tris clarified by saying he was eighteen. By the time I learned his true age I was proabbly halfway through the book though.

Now for the positive. Divergent had a really interesting world. I liked most of the characters (Tris should have shot Four when she had the chance). Veronica Roth had suspenseful writing which kept me going till the very end.

In short, this book was okay. Defitnly not worth the hype everyone gives it, but still good. I'm not sure if I'll continue with the series, but I might read Insurgent

Page count: 487 pages

Published: February 28, 2012

Genre: dystopian

Series: Divergent book 1

My rating: 3 stars

Buy this book

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My 5 Favorite Quotes From Clap When You Land

Fairest of All by Serena Valentino

Bloom by Kevin Panetta