Recent Reads

 The past two weeks have been pretty chill for me. I have some exciting plans for this weekend though! I don't want to get too much into them so I'll just start talking about books now. Here are some of my recent reads.

A Separate Peace by John Knowles

Dates read: December 4 - January 18
    Let me just go on record stating that it wasn't my choice to read this book. I had to read A Separate Peace for my English class and this probably wouldn't be a book I would willingly read. I thought it was pretty boring.
Synopsis:
    Gene is the opposite of Finny. While everyone loves being around him, Gene is a lonely introvert. The events that happen between the two, however, will erase all innocence of the boys at Devon and bring them to the startling reality of war.

My Calamity Jane by Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton, & Jodi Meadows

Dates read: January 14- January 19
    I loved this book! Reading My Calamity Jane has made me even more exciting for the upcoming release of My Contrary Mary. Like the rest of the books in The Lady Janies series, My Calamity Jane was hilarious! It reminded me so much of Scooby Doo complete with a good old fashion villain escape scene! 
Synopsis:
    The Wild West is full of outlaws, gun-slingers, and garou. Yes, the wild west is full of werewolves. Calamity Jane has been garou hunting with Bill Hickok and performing in Wild Bill's Wild West for what seems like years now. Frank Butler, better known as the Pistol Prince, is the best sharpshooter but it seems he has met his match when he meets Annie Oakly. Annie's new to the gang but that doesn't stop her from helping when the three find themselves in a bit of a hairy situation. Jane's been bitten by a garou and if she doesn't get the cure fast enough, she might not be around for much longer.

I'll Be the One by Lya Lee

Dates read: January 19 - January 22
    No doubt that this was my favorite book read in January. From the beginning, I was hooked. I loved Skye's relationship with Henry. They were so cute together. I also loved that everyone in this book was gay so there was a lot of LGBTQ representation.
Synopsis:
    Skye's been told her whole life that fat girls can't dance. Despite the years of negative comments from her mother, Skye learns to love her body. She dreams of becoming a K-Pop icon and when she finds out about the TV competition You're My Shining Star she knows that this is finally her chance. However, Skye didn't expect her fellow competitor, Henry Cho, to be so cute and charming.

The Hound of Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle

Dates read: January 19 - January 23
    This is my favorite out of all the Sherlock Holmes books. I loved BBC's Sherlock series.
Synopsis:
    After a mysterious death at Baskerville Hall, Sherlock Holmes sends John Watson to investigate. This may be their toughest case yet as a hound terrorizes Sir Henry Baskervilles' land. 

Five Feet Apart by Rachael Lippincott

Dates read: January 22 - January 24
    This was such a good book! I didn't like it much in the beginning but the ending was so sweet. Five Feet Apart was such a depressing book though. There were so many sad parts and I just can't believe my favorite character died!
Synopsis:
    Stella Grant has to be in control. The one thing she could never control was her lungs. Stuck with CF, Stella needs new lungs, or else she could die. Will Newman has been transferred from hospital to hospital. Now he's at St. Grace's for a new clinical drug trial. It isn't long before Will catches Stella's eyes. But they know the rule. Six feet apart at all times. But what if they tested their limits? What if instead of six feet, they could be five feet apart?

The Odd Sisters by Serena Valentino

Dates read: January 24 - January 26
    Recently, Serena Valentino posted that she started writing the next Villains book on Instagram so I thought that this would be the perfect time to catch up with books 6 & 7. The Odd Sisters wasn't my favorite book in the series so far but it wasn't the worst either. I found some of the characters really boring, but some of the stuff revealed in this book was gasp-worthy.
Synopsis:
    Though out the Villains series, the Odd Sisters have messed up everyone's lives. They've manipulated the Beast, the Evil Queen, Ursula, Malicafent, and Mother Gothel. Now, it's time for the fairies to chose the Sister's fate. Meanwhile, Circe and Snow White dive deeper into the Sister's shocking past. Their dark truth we finally emerge from beneath the shadows.

Evil Thing by Serena Valentino

Dates read: January 26 - January 29
    I'm officially all caught up with the Villains series and ready for the release of Cold Hearted. I have such a difficult time finishing book series most of the time, so it's really impressive that I've read all 7 of the released Villains books. I swear I'll start a dozen book series each year but only finish one or two.
Synopsis:
    Like the song says, if Curella De Vil doesn't scare you, no evil thing will. From the time she was a little girl, Curella had always been eager to please her mother. To earn love. From her only childhood, Curella changed. After possibly getting cursed, Curella was no longer a sweet little girl. A mixture of heart-break and longing made her into the fashionable villain the world knows her as.

Legend by Marie Lu

Dates read: January - January 31
    I really liked Legend. It was a great book and so entertaining. I loved June and Day. The two perspectives were great. I can't wait to read the rest of this series! I have such high hopes for Prodigy.
Synopsis:
    The United States is now known as the Republic. June was born into one of the Republic's wealthier families and has sworn her life to serving her country. She's a prodigy destined for greatness. Everything is perfect for her, until her brother's death. Day is one of the Republics' most wanted criminals. People call him heartless but he's not as cruel as he seems. June and Day will uncover secrets about the Republic that will change their lives forever.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My 5 Favorite Quotes From Clap When You Land

Fairest of All by Serena Valentino

Bloom by Kevin Panetta