Dear Evan Hansen by Val Emmich


Evan Hansen has never been important before. He's been invisible his whole life. Connor Murphy felt the same way. But then Connor commits suicide with a letter addressed to Evan in his pocket. A letter that Evan wrote to himself. When the Murphys find it, they are convinced that Evan was Connors's one and only friend. He thought he was giving the Murphys what they needed. Evan thought that he could make everything easier for everyone. All he did was dig himself deeper into the lie he created.

Dear Evan Hansen was based on the Broadway musical of the same name and boy did I sing my way through this book. I could find lyrics from all seventeen songs. And I sang. Every. Single. One.

I don't think a book has made me cry as much as this one. There are just so many parts that make you want to curl up and ball your eyes out, And let me tell ya, I cried. I cried a lot. I'm surprised my tears didn't fill up a lake. If I cried even more I would have needed a Wonderland-style caucus race.

Not only did I cry, but I laughed. A lot. I love Jared wisecrack humor so much! And even some of the things Evan said made me die of laughter (page 21 everyone. Funniest thing I've ever read). 

On a much more serious note, Dear Evan Hansen talked a lot about mental illnesses. Evan had anxiety and I feel like he was a very accurate representation of what it's like to go through that. Connor also dealt with depression and used drugs.

I definitely recommend picking up this book because it's a great read. I loved it so much and I'm definitely going to reread Dear Evan Hansen in the future.

Page Count: 368 pages

Published: October 9, 2018

Genre: Contemporary

My Rating: 5 stars

Buy this book!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My 5 Favorite Quotes From Clap When You Land

Fairest of All by Serena Valentino

Bloom by Kevin Panetta