Almost Home by Joan Bauer

Sugar's life is tough. She and her mother struggle to get ends meet and one day, they lose it all. They move to Chicago for a fresh start but that can't come soon enough. The two become homeless. After her mother has a breakdown, Sugar is put into foster care. All she has left is her dog, Shush. Sugar learns that home is wherever the heart is. 
    This book was okay. It's not something I would rave about or something I would go back and reread. To me, Almost Home was an average book. Sugar wrote poems to deal with tough stuff in her life. I hated the poems. Eventually, I just started skipping over them.
    There were a few weird things in this book. First, Sugar called her mother Reba. Sugar also called her father Mr. Leeland and I never really understood why. 
    Sugar also has a weird tendency to write thank-you letters. The letters weren't boring, they just felt a bit out of place. I'm not sure if they were there just to fill space or to force upon us the fact that Sugar was just as sweet as her name. 
    After Sugar becomes homeless, the book becomes repetitive. Most of the chapters are either about Sugar running around different stores with Hush or her and her mother in the shelter. This was a middle-grade book so of course the tone the whole time was an uplifting "don't worry things will get better."

Page Count: 240 pages
Published: Septemeber 13, 2012
Genre: Conemtpary
My Rating: 3 stars
Buy this book

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My 5 Favorite Quotes From Clap When You Land

Fairest of All by Serena Valentino

Bloom by Kevin Panetta