The One and Only Ivan by Kathrine Applegate

Ivan is a gorilla living ay the Exit 8 Big Top Mall and Video Arcade. He's content with his small life. He has sweet friends; Bob, Stella, and even Julia. But then everything changes. A new elephant comes and Ivan is no longer the star of the show. After making a promise to Stella, Ivan knows that Ruby doesn't belong in a cage. None of them do. He uses his art to convey his cry for help. He's determined to make good on his promise and bring all the animals to a zoo. 
    This story is so sad. The tone, the narration, even most of the story. All tear-jerking. So I recently reread The One and Only Ivan. I think I like this book more and more each time I read it. The chapters are usually really short (which I like). Usually two or three pages. I read this book really quickly (in two days).
    The One and Only Ivan is powerful and beautiful. The illustrations are stunning and the message the book conveys is great. I fell in love with Ivan and Ruby so quickly. Stella was an amazing character too and Bob was adorable. I'm so excited to get to the sequel, The One and Only Bob.

Page Count: 307 pages
Published: January 17, 2012
Genre: Fiction
Series: The One and Only Ivan book 1

My Rating: 4 stars
Buy this book

~ ~ ~

Other books by Kathrine Applegate:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My 5 Favorite Quotes From Clap When You Land

Fairest of All by Serena Valentino

Bloom by Kevin Panetta