The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

The Secret Life of BeesLily Owens has no mother. According to T. Ray, Lily killed her mother in a gun accident when she was four. Lily can't stand T. Ray so one day, she decides to run away from home taking Rosaleen with her. The two end up in Tributon, South Carolina. Lily knows that her mother had stayed with August when she was in Tirbuton and soon sets off on a quest to learn more about her. In the process, she learns the meaning of family and forgives herself for what happened long ago.
        I didn't love The Secret Life of Bees. It was really boring at first and the only way I was actually able to enjoy the book was by listening to an audio of it. I think I might have enjoyed the book a little more if I didn't have to read it for school. Does anyone else have that problem? They have to read for school and end up hating something they would normally love? Even though I didn't love the book, this was one of the best I've read for school.
        Anyway, as I got deeper into the book, I started to like it more and more. Eventually, I became invested in Lily's story. Sue Monk Kidd had some amazing writing. Her figurative language was stunning. I would have never come up with similes like the ones she uses. They are so creative.
        There's still one thing I really want to know. There's one scene where T. Ray and Lily talk about the day Lily's mother died. T. Ray is so forceful trying to convince Lily that she killed her mother that it seems like he did it and was trying to cover up his tracks. Later on, it hints to that more when Lily says that the shot came much after she had to gun. At the very end of the book when Lily asks T. Ray if she really did, he told her she did. So what really happened?

Page Count: 302 pages
Published: January 28, 2003
Genre: Contemporary
My Rating: 2 stars
Buy this book

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My 5 Favorite Quotes From Clap When You Land

Fairest of All by Serena Valentino

Bloom by Kevin Panetta