Rose and the Lost Princess by Holly Webb

Rose and the Lost Princess
Page Count: 256 pages
Published: April 1, 2014

My Rating: 1 Star 
Genre: Fantasy 

  Rose was nothing more than a lonely orphan. She has never known her parents. But when she leaves the orphanage to go work as a servant for Mr. Frountion, a rich magician, she quickly finds out that she also has magic powers of her own. While she works with Mr. Frountion and her new friend, Freddie, Princess Jane was kidnapped from the castle but then quickly returned. Now, Rose secretly serves as a bodyguard for the princess, working to make sure nothing could harm the princess. 
  One thing that I saw a lot of in this book was animal abuse. In the fair scene, an elephant is caged at the top of the hill. The cage is described as small and that reminds me of Stella's cage from The One and Only Ivan if anyone has read that book. When learning magic with Mr. Frountain, they use mice and other household animals to practice combat spells. A bird is used by a bad guy as a weapon. They find the bird inside a golden casing hurt badly and on the verge of death. 
  Another thing that I didn't like about the book was that the whole storyline described on the back of the book was crammed into the last 40 pages. The first 200 pages were just about Roses's daily life living with Mr. Frountain. 200 PAGES OF NOTHING BUT BORING. 
  Sure there were a few moments where we got clues to the whole mystery, but mainly just Rose at the Fountain house. And there were also a lot of unanswered questions at the end of the book. 
  So this is the second book in the Rose series by Holly Webb (which I didn't know until I looked it up this morning). So if you do end up wanting to read this book, I would suggest reading the first book first because there is one incident that the characters keep bringing up that I have no idea about. It was really confusing.
  So I know that you're getting the idea that I don't like the book, but there are some good things. Rose is a nice character (a bit bratty for an orphan, but still nice). The parts with the bully of the household were kinda interesting too. Not really though. 
  When I was younger, I loved Holly Webb books. Actually, I loved the series that had The Lost Puppy and The Secret Puppy. I loved those books but, compared to those, this was a huge letdown.
Image result for watercolor designs

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My 5 Favorite Quotes From Clap When You Land

Fairest of All by Serena Valentino

Bloom by Kevin Panetta